Monday, August 27, 2007

ME - part une

Yo.

I've been in the world of blogs for a while now, but I've always wanted to have a dedicated art/animation blog, and after seeing that a bunch of people I work with have one, I decided to hop on the bandwagon. So that's what this will be.

I guess I'll start off by saying a little (lot) about myself. I've always, always been interested in art. More specifically, digital art. I started off with... "observational" art, as many people do. I remember when "The Lion King" came out in 1994 (my all-time favorite movie, by the way), I was 11 years old. We had an IBM PC, with Windows 3.1, and I tried to recreate a screenshot from the movie in MS paint, with 16 colors. Luckily, a few years ago, I found it on a REALLY old floppy disk, and uploaded it to my deviant art account. It's pictured below.



Kinda hideous, eh?



That was my very first taste of digital art. I started taking digital art more seriously once I got into this PhotoDeluxe program (a watered down version of Photoshop) during my senior year of High School. I visited a lot of online forums, and got tips and tricks from tons of talented artists from around the world. That, coupled with the fact that I eventually became an Electronic Imaging major at UMass Dartmouth (can you believe I was a computer science major before I switched majors?? What a different life I'd lead...) and was taking all sorts of art classes, I'd like to say I became a better artist, and Photoshopper. At one point, I recreated the above Scar and Simba drawing, using all the tricks I've learned. This one is pictured below.


















Eventually I became a full-fledged fan-artist. That's all I ever did. I learned quite a lot from my experiences in the world of fan-artistry. I've posted some of my favorites below:


Zelda: Twilight Princess compilation - I did this for a mini-contest, before I really knew anything about the game. I forget how I placed... I tried to color it, but it turned out kinda crappy.

Esmerelda: Triforce Hunter - a character I created for a contest, in which we had to create the alter ego of a famous Nintendo character. I chose Zelda.

Terra in Magitek Armor - at this point, I was learning Lightwave 3D in school, so I made the armor, and the background, in Lightwave Modeler.

Another Zelda Compilation of characters - Here I was playing around with styles, trying to go down a not-so-realistic route.

Justin and Feena - a simple piece I did, depicting a scene from the end of "Grandia," one of the best RPG's ever created.

Kingdom Heart character comp - not a big fan of the series, but it was a good lesson in how to draw clothes.

Grandia 3 - CLOSER - A silly little thing I did... in case you couldn't tell, I'm mimicking the poster/cover for the movie "Closer" with these characters. This one's actually pretty horrible, because if you try to make full faces by mirroring the halves of their faces, they look like deformed freaks. Their eyes are way too far from their noses.

Asuka from "Evangelion" - title says it all... going for the more realistic shading again. ...Meh.

Cast of "Haruhi" - Again, title says all. This was done in March of 2007, and is my last fanart (that I ever colored). The drawing was a little rushed I believe...

But I save the best for last...


"Zelda: Wind Waker" compilation - this is my absolute favorite thing I've ever done in Photoshop. It was my most successful contest entry, which won me a brand-spanking new PS2 (well, technically it won me a "Nintendo DS," but I already had one preordered, so I used my winnings to get the PS2 instead...).

So, I've done a lot of fanart. This is just a small fraction of all of the fanart I've ever done. In case you couldn't tell, I'm also a huge videogame nerd. Seriously. No, seriously. You don't have any idea. But anyway, the unfortunate thing about fanart is that it kind of restricts you from coming up with your own sense of style. But that's why I created this blog- to correct that.


This entry is already way too long, so next time I'll post about how I got into animation. From that point onward, the entries will be much more short, much more concise- I only plan on posting short animation doodles.


Till next time, folks!



(PS- I also have a
weird and offbeat sense of humor, though it takes a lot to get it out of me if you're just talking to me)

No comments: